Whenever I am between lifting days, or there is a day when I am short on time and can’t fit in a complete lifting session, my ultimate go-to is an interval training session. I usually choose between a Tabata or this ultimate dumbbell matrix HIT session.
I am a big fan of Scott Abel fitness and I love his Ultimate Dumbbell Matrix. It is an awesome, effective, fat-melting HIT (High Intensity Training) workout for those short on time who want results! It’s brutal but it has amazing sculpting, metabolic, and conditioning effects. There are 16 exercises (consisting of 10 reps each side). Do the whole video two times through. The whole workout (twice through) is still under 15 minutes….that is it….15 minutes and then YOU ARE DONE!
This Is My First Time
In attempting this for the first time, you may need to just do the motions with no weights until you get a feel for the program. Then, you can slowly progress by adding some dumbbells. You may also want to adjust the tempo on the video by slowing it down 2x and adding more weight (you can find these tempo buttons on the bottom of the youtube video).
How Do I Progress?
When you hit a plateau with this workout, progressions can be made by increasing your dumbbell weight, increasing reps, and/or going at a faster tempo (or like I mentioned before, you may slow the tempo down and add more weight).
How Often Do I Do This?
If you have a regular fitness and lifting routine you following and you’d like to add more aerobic endurance and fat loss, do this once or twice (max) per week and you’ll see tremendous body sculpting and metabolic effects. If you’d like to just solely use this routine as your basis, you can incorporate it every other day. To read more about the benefits of metabolic conditioning, click here.
Exercises on the Video
In case you’d like to do it on your own, to your own music or tempo, here is a list of the exercises!
The Abel Ultimate Dumbbell Matrix
- Simultaneous Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- Simultaneous Shoulder Level Dumbbell Punches in Front
- Simultaneous Db Cross Punching Shoulder Height w/ Pivot
- Simultaneous Dumbbell Bent Alt. Dumbbell Rows
- Alt Dumbbell Side Laterals with Contralateral Front Stride
- Alt Dumbbell Front Raises with Contralateral Side Stride
- Simultaneous Dumbbell Upright Rows
- Push Ups, with the Dumbbells
- Alt Front Reaching Lunges
- Alt Lateral Reaching Lunges
- Alt Posterior Reaching Lunges
- Alt Front Reaching Lunges with Overhead Press
- Alt Lateral Reaching Lunges with upright row
- Alt Posterior Reaching Lunges with bicep Curls
- Dumbbell full Squats
- Dumbbell Burpees with Jump
Repeat One More Time!